HISTOPATHOLOGICAL SPECTRUM OF ENDOMETRIUM IN PERI-MENOPAUSAL AND POSTMENOPAUSAL WOMEN IN SOUTHERN PUNJAB; AN EXPERIENCE AT TERTIARY CARE HOSPITAL

  • Sabah Kaleem Combined Military Hospital Multan (National Institute of Medical Sciences) Pakistan
  • Adeel Arif Department of Pathology, Combined Military Hospital, Sargodha Pakistan
  • Syed Naeem Raza Hamdani Combined Military Hospital Multan (National Institute of Medical Sciences) Pakistan
  • Fareeha Naseer Syed CMH Multan Institute of Medical Sciences Multan, Pakistan
  • Kamran Afzal Combined Military Hospital Multan (National Institute of Medical Sciences) Pakistan
  • Sana Saddique Combined Military Hospital Multan (National Institute of Medical Sciences) Pakistan

Abstract

Objective: To determine frequency and association of different histopathological diagnoses and symptoms in peri-menopausal and post-menopausal women presenting with abnormal uterine bleeding.

Material and Methods: This comparative cross-sectional study was done from 1st January 2018 to 30th April 2020 in a tertiary care hospital, Southern Punjab. The study included all endometrial biopsies done for abnormal uterine bleeding in peri-menopausal (40-50 years) and post-menopausal age group (above 50 years). Haematoxylin and Eosin stained sections of all cases were examined by the same histopathologist. Descriptive statistics were calculated and Fisher’s exact test was used to find an association between symptoms and histological findings.

Results: Out of 194 selected cases, 117 (60.3%) were from the peri-menopausal group, while the remaining 77 (39.7%) were from the post-menopausal age group. Diverse histopathological diagnoses were found on endometrial biopsies. The most frequent histopathological entity was proliferative endometrium in both groups, while endometrial hyperplasia and endometrial carcinoma were among the least common ones. Proliferative endometrium, secretory endometrium, and hormone-induced changes were the commonest of all histopathological entities in the peri-menopausal group and have presented with different symptoms. Fisher’s exact test showed (P-value of >0.05) that there is no statistically significant association between symptoms and any particular histopathological entity.

Conclusion: A variety of histopathological diagnoses is found during the evaluation of endometrial biopsies of patients in peri-menopausal and post-menopausal groups. The peri-menopausal group presents with different symptoms, but these symptoms are not associated with any particular histological diagnosis.  

Key Words: Endometrium, Biopsy, Menopause, Peri-menopause, Menorrhagia.

Published
2021-06-30