MICROBIAL EVALUATION OF DRINKING WATER AND FREQUENCY OF BACTERIAL ISOLATES FROM RAWALPINDI PAKISTAN

Muhammad Jaseem Khan, Muhammad Ferman Ali, Muhammad Hassan, Anwar ullah

Abstract


Objective: To find the frequency and identification of different bacterial isolates from drinking water samples.

Study Design: Descriptive

Place and duration of study: National Institute of Health, Islamabad; from 30th Aug,2015 to 28thFebruary, 2016.

Patients and Methods: Total 521 water samples were studied. Microbiological testing was performed using the membrane filter technique. Different biochemical tests were applied to differentiate the organisms e.g. Oxidase Test, Indole test, Triple Sugar Iron (TSI) test. Frequencies and percentages of data were calculated and presented in form of graphs and tables and analyzed using SPSS version 17.

Results: Out of 521 water samples, 353 (67.8%) water samples were unsatisfactory and the other 168 (32.2%) water samples were satisfactory for drinking purpose. In the present study, Coliform was the most common organisms isolated.

Conclusion: The study indicates that there are 2 main microorganisms that are responsible for water-borne disease. These include Pseudomonas and more importantly Total Coliforms because it is a major fecal contamination indicator.

Keywords: Coliforms, Escherichia coli, Membrane filtration Technique, Microbiological Analysis, NIH Islamabad.


Full Text:

PDF

Refbacks

  • There are currently no refbacks.